These stuffed zucchini boats are a fun, nutritious way to experience traditional Italian flavors.
Vegetable Filling Mixture:
• 1 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, diced
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 1 teaspoon dried basil
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 pinch of salt
• 1 pinch of pepper
• 5 zucchinis
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 raw tomato, chopped (or 5 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters)
• 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1. Preheat the broiler.
2. Slice zucchini in half lengthwise. Put the zucchini on a foil-lined baking tray and broil for 10 minutes.
3. Allow the zucchini to cool for 10 minutes.
4. Using a small spoon, carefully scoop out the flesh to make something that resembles a boat. Take care to not break the skin of the zucchini. Set aside the zucchini pulp in a bowl to add to filling.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini pulp, diced bell peppers, minced garlic, chopped onion, nutritional yeast, and spices.
6. Sauté for about 5 minutes, until browned and cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
7. In a small bowl, mix together the sautéed pepper mixture, chopped tomatoes, and remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
8. Stuff the broiled zucchini with the vegetable mixture. 9. Broil an additional 5 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
Nutritional Information/ Amount per serving
Serving Size: 2 boats
Number of Servings: 5 servings
Protein 4.1 g
Total fat 6.2 g
Total Carbohydrates 10.5 g
Saturated fat 0.9 g
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g