In an effort to align Colorado State University’s Housing & Dining Services (HDS) Operations Management more closely with department functions and associated names used by other universities across the country, Housing & Dining Operations Management has changed its name to Housing & Dining Facilities.
This change came about during the process of a national search for a new director last spring. It was suggested by the search firm that was hired to help CSU fill this position that advertising for an operations director would yield a candidate pool with a completely different skill set than would that of a facilities director. “Operations” at most universities involves housing assignments and other services that involve running the facilities, while the term “facilities” encompasses more of the physical structures themselves. Once the new director, Laura Alexander, was on board, it became clear that the name Operations Management failed to fully describe the moving, fixing, cleaning and maintaining of HDS buildings.
CSU already has a facilities management department, so it is important to distinguish the two, thus the new name Housing & Dining Facilities. Transitioning to the new name creates an area identity that better reflects the hard work of our employees while aligning with widely used terminology at universities nationwide.
In addition to the new name, Housing & Dining Facilities is adopting a new tagline, We Facilitate Success, solidifying the motivation of each member of the area and reinforces that each employee works diligently to provide the best experience for students, staff and guests — helping to ensure their successes both on and off campus. According to Alexander, “Our name change to Housing and Dining Facilities, along with our tagline, clarifies not only the tasks and services we provide, but also captures our commitment to the success of our staff, students and CSU.”
With a keen attention toward sustainability, look for the name to be gradually changed as printed materials and logo items get replaced on a regular cycle.
“So far I have heard only positive responses,” Alexander added. “I have seen many wearing our new shirts, and using our new business cards, which also include our tag line.”
HDS Facilities at a Glance:
- 250 employees over three primary areas: Environmental Services, Maintenance and Materials Management (200 full-time staff, 50 hourly and student employees)
- More than 2.1 million square feet of Housing & Dining Facilities
- More than 80 buildings. This includes 15 residence halls housing 6,000+ students, four apartment communities with 1,119 apartments, six dining centers and a bakeshop, a warehouse/food storeroom, the Housing Services Center and the Palmer Center Administrative Offices.
- Operating budget > $16.8 million
- Typical (non-emergency) services and maintenance include those to room finishes (carpet, paint); fixtures (lights, plumbing, heat, fans, windows); hardware; and standard furniture