A construction fence around Aylesworth Hall will be erected the morning of Tuesday, March 5, for the first steps toward building Meridian Village, a Housing & Dining Services housing construction project for future students.
Meridian Village will redevelop the existing Newsom and Aylesworth Hall sites into a new residential village concept. Newsom and Aylesworth were built in the 1950s, and now sit along the north-south axis of the recently completed Canvas Stadium.
The Aylesworth site is phase one of the project, with abatement commencing in mid-March and deconstruction beginning later this spring. Completion of phase one is anticipated in Fall 2022. The Newsom site is slated to be phase two of the project, commencing when phase one is done and completion anticipated around 2025.
Within the project, the new Meridian Village holds several big-picture goals at the forefront of this redevelopment effort:
- Accommodate housing capacity needs for all first-year students who are required to live on-campus.
- Allow for greater accommodation of returning students, building on recent Housing & Dining initiatives like the redevelopment of Aggie Village.
- Accommodate additional dining capacity centered around students’ desired dining experience and fresh new concepts.
- Foster the CSU Principles of Community: inclusion, integrity, respect, service, and social justice.
- Focus on furthering cross-disciplinary academic integration within the residential experience beyond program specific opportunities.
- Design around intentional neighborhood creation to promote sustainability as well as occupant health and wellness
Saunders Construction and 4240 Architecture have been selected as the design and construction firms for the project. They will be working closely with Facilities Management and Housing & Dining Services to develop this project. Saunders has previous experience on campus with the LSC renovation and the Rec Center renovation, while 4240 has experience on campus with the Durrell renovation and construction of Laurel Village, 4th floor additions to Braiden and Parmelee, and Aggie Village.