For an indulgent Valentine’s Day treat that is also (sort of) good for you, the Kendall Reagan Nutrition Center recommends this delicious dessert that includes both chocolate and antioxidant-rich berries.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- Whisk together the first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl
- Heat milks in a medium saucepan over low heat, and bring to a simmer (not boil). Remove pan from heat and add bittersweet chocolate, stirring until chocolate melts.
- Gradually stir about one-quarter of warm chocolate mixture into egg mixture. Once combined, add entire egg mixture back to pan with remaining chocolate, stirring constantly.
- Turn heat to medium and cook about 5 minutes, or until mixture is thick and creamy, stirring constantly.
- Pour pudding into a bowl, covering surface with plastic wrap. Chill. To serve, remove plastic wrap and top with raspberries.
Amount per serving
Protein 7.5 g
Total fat 6.7 g
Total carbohydrates 30.7 g
Saturated fat 3.7 g
Dietary fiber 2.2 g
For delicious recipes, nutrition tips, and to find cooking and nutrition classes, go to the Kendall Reagan Nutrition Center website. More great info also available at the College of Health and Human Sciences Pinterest board.