The Multicultural Undergraduate Research Art and Leadership Symposium, or “MURALS,” is scheduled for March 29 this year, and organizers are asking faculty and staff to not only attend the event but encourage students to submit abstracts before the March 8 deadline.
MURALS, now in its fifth year, features the scholarly work of students of color in a variety of disciplines. It is an event that allows students to network and present their projects while graduate students provide feedback on presentations and faculty members serve as judges for the poster portion and serve as mentors. Participants will take part in academic workshops that will aid in the process of continuing their education beyond their bachelor’s degree.
MURALS exposes students to a variety of undergraduate research opportunities. The program focuses on mentoring, presenting scholarly work, networking and learning about multicultural leadership. Throughout the day, students will have the opportunity to represent themselves, their departments and colleges to faculty, staff, peers, alumni and administrators.
MURALS participants will be able to:
- Increase their interaction and collaboration with students from diverse populations
- Communicate confidently and constructively about their research/scholarly work with their peers, faculty and staff
- Independently synthesize and extrapolate information pertaining to their own research/scholarly work, including lessons learned, strengths and ways to improve
- Articulate significance of independent research interests as it pertains to their field, community, nation and/or world.
- Increase professional interaction through interpersonal skills with peers, faculty and staff
- Understand the fundamental characteristics needed to become a successful multicultural leader
Event schedule: March 29
9 – 10:15 a.m. Registration and poster set-up
10:30 – 11:45 a.m. Workshops (third-floor meeting rooms in the LSC – open to MURALS and non-MURALS participants)
Noon Welcome luncheon – LSC Main Ballroom
1:15 – 2:15 p.m. MURALS concurrent presentations I (Third-floor LSC meeting rooms)
2:30 – 3:30 p.m. MURALS concurrent presentations II (Third-floor LSC meeting rooms)
3:45 – 4:45 p.m. Poster gallery (LSC Main Ballroom)
5 – 5:30 p.m. Awards ceremony (LSC Main Ballroom)
For more information, visit the MURALS website at murals.colostate.edu, or contact Bridgette Johnson at Bridgette.Johnson@colostate.edu, (970) 491-5781, or Melissa Edwards at Melissa.Edwards@colostate.edu, (970) 492-4092