CSU Marching Band campaigns for new uniforms

Colorado State University’s Marching Band, which is composed of talented musicians from all eight colleges at CSU, has proven time and again its commitment to outstanding performances and inspiring Ram Pride.

These efforts include the need for a first-rate visual presentation, and CSU has launched a fundraising campaign to purchase new uniforms.

Marching with pride has long been the ritual for the members of the CSU Marching Band, and that pride has far outshined the ensemble’s timeworn uniforms.

“As our uniforms have started to show the wear and tear that naturally occurs over the course of several years, we all sense that we aren’t able to represent the standard that reflects the best of CSU,” said Richard Frey, associate director of bands.

The College of Liberal Arts recently announced a generous gift from an anonymous supporter that will pave the way for the band to receive new uniforms this summer. The band has raised 80 percent of the funds needed to acquire the uniforms. To raise the remaining 20 percent, the College has launched a campaign extending to all Marching Band alumni and fans and the larger CSU community.

The average lifespan of a band uniform is seven years. But for nearly a decade, the current uniforms have appeared at hundreds of performances within the community, as well as stages beyond Northern Colorado. New uniforms will bring professionalism, breathability, and comfortable movement, enabling the ensemble to hone their craft in the best environment possible, and leading to the overall excellence and recognition of the Marching Band.

“The uniform is a symbol of the band, and the chance to wear new uniforms on the field will contribute to the pride band members feel for themselves, and the ensemble,” said Frey.

The CSU Marching Band is an award-winning ensemble which continually energizes crowds at university events and annual high-profile occasions such as the 9NEWS Parade of Lights in Denver and half-time performances at Denver Broncos games. In 2014, the band traveled to Las Vegas to support the Rams at the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl, and in 2013, the band accepted an invitation to march in the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in Dublin, Ireland.

According to Ann Gill, dean of the College of Liberal Arts, the band is at the heart of CSU traditions.

“Fans near and far love the CSU Marching Band,” Gill said. “They appeal to, and honor, generations of Rams and Aggies.”

Support for band collateral, such as uniforms and instruments, is not unlike the funding of student scholarships, often supplied by the generous support of donors. Gifts to the uniform campaign will enhance the student experience, and reward the continued dedication of the 240 members of the band.

“[Their] performances, as well as the way they represent the university, are sources of enormous pride, not only for me, but also the administration, students, faculty, alumni, and donors,” said Gill. “People who give to the uniform campaign become part of the tradition, part of the success of this wonderful marching band.”

To make a gift online and support the uniform campaign visit the campaign website at http://col.st/7B6sw.