With CSU’s Career Fair set for Sept. 23 and 24 in the Lory Student Center Grand Ballroom, we thought it would be a great time to offer some tips and tricks that’ll prepare you for the real world.
Before the Career Fair
- Clarify your goals and know why the career fair can benefit you.
- Prepare a resume to give to employers. Stop by the Career Center’s Resume Rush or Drop-Ins to have your resume reviewed by a professional.
- Prepare a 30 second to one-minute introduction to share with employers to demonstrate your knowledge of the organization and to express your interest in them. Think of questions you would like to ask the employer.
- Create your own business cards.
- Schedule a Mock Interview with the Career Center.
At the Career Fair
- Dress and look professional.
- Maintain good eye contact, shake hands firmly and speak clearly and concisely.
- Show enthusiasm and interest by asking pertinent questions.
- Present an organized and targeted resume.
- Don’t hesitate to approach a representative or join a group already in progress.
- Feel free to take notes.
After the Career Fair
- Ask for the employer’s business card and inquire as to how you should best follow-up.
- If you have received any special information or attention, send a thank you note.
- Take the initiative for effective, timely and appropriate follow-up.
*Tips provided by the Career Center.
New this year
New to this year’s Career Fair is the CSU Career Fair app, which can help you navigate the fair using your mobile device. Students can filter employers by majors, job function, or position type.